Your brand is your identity and an important part of your marketing strategy. Having a federally registered trademark increases your credibility in your market, and enables you to prevent others from using your mark or a mark similar to yours in a manner that could harm your business. The Benefits of Trademark Registration are:
- Federally registered trademarks are protected throughout the United States rather than in one state.
- Federal registration provides evidence that you own your trademark. If you ever sue someone for trademark infringement, this fact will save you a great deal of time and legal fees.
- You will be able to file suit in federal court rather than state court.
- As an owner of a federally registered trademark, you are entitled to “treble damages”, which means you can recover three times your actual damages from the trademark infringer.
- You may also be able to recover any profits that the defendant earned while infringing your trademark, as well as any attorneys fees you incur during litigation.
- Federal registration provides nationwide “constructive notice” to others that the registered trademark belongs to you. If your trademark is infringed, the infringer cannot defend his conduct by arguing he did not know about your trademark.
- After five years, federally registered trademarks become “incontestable”. That is, your exclusive right to use the trademark is conclusively established, making it extremely difficult for another party to challenge your trademark.
- Your trademark rights can last indefinitely, as long as you comply with the necessary procedures for renewing your trademark.
The process of trademark and design registration doesn’t need to be expensive or confusing. Karmen A. Booker of Compu-Perfect Professional Services can make the registration applications on your behalf, and we can provide full support issues such as:
- Advice on suitability and registrability of names, logos and designs
- Searches against intended names and logos and checking on availability
- Advice on selecting appropriate classes of goods and services for registration
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Karmen A. Booker is an Attorney, Business Consultant and Chief Consultant for Compu-Perfect Professional Services, a business consulting firm specializing in business incorporation, establishing limited liability companies, contract drafting & reviewing, and more. CALL ATTORNEY BOOKER at (301) 408-1082.
She is the author of “Entrepreneurship is for You”, that solves the problem of “not knowing how to start a business”. It is a comprehensive guide for starting and operating an efficient business. It discusses the 7-step process for operating your business:
The 1st Step in Starting a Business
(You Must Have a Vision)
The 2nd Step in Starting a Business
(The Roadmap to Success – Setting Goals)
The 3rd Step in Starting a Business
(Is Entrepreneurship for You Self Assessment)
The 4th Step in Starting a Business
(The 4 Major Types of Business Entities & How to Select the Best One for You)
The 5th Step in Starting a Business
(How to Develop a Business Plan)
The 6th Step in Starting a Business
(How to Select a Name for Your Business and Other Business Essentials)
The 7th Step in Starting a Business
(Tax Tips for Your Home Business)
BONUS: Includes the following:
- Entrepreneurship Self Assessment Survey
- 38+ Best Home-based Businesses You Can Start
- Business Websites and Resources